What is Responsible Travel?
Tourism is the world's fastest growing industry. Traveling to far flung places gives us a wonderful opportunity to experience cultures that are so different from our own. But with the wondrous joy of travel comes the responsibility of ensuring that we do not adversely affect those countries that we visit. In a nutshell, Responsible Travel is about ensuring that you, as travelers, and Fiore Adventure, as a promoter of travel:
- respect the local culture
- do not inadvertently introduce new social ills and
- promote & practice environmental responsibility in the places that we visit
That way, you enjoy a unique and memorable experience as well as authentic cross-cultural exchange and our local resources, cultures and customs are protected.
It has always been at the heart of Fiore Adventure' ethos to not exploit local communities' culture and environment.
We ensure our tours are:
- low impact on natural resources
- respectful and observant of local customs and
- supportive of local economies
All staff of Fiore Adventure are locally employed and all our guides are, ensuring a more authentic experience for travelers, as well as sensitivity to local customs and culture. We also involve local communities in remote areas that we travel to.
Our environmental policy:
- We recycle all our waste paper
- Our correspondence and promotion is carried out via the internet and email, minimizing the amount of paper used for our activities
- We use established, locally-owned and run accommodation wherever possible and aim to leave sites in better condition than we find them.
- Our vehicle fleet is managed to minimise environmental impact.
- Our group sizes are small, helping minimise cultural and environmental impact.
- We monitor our impact, and where necessary alter our programmes accordingly.
- We always abide by site-specific guidelines pertaining to flora and fauna.
- All staff of Fiore Adventure are locally employed and all our guides are, ensuring a more authentic experience for travelers, as well as sensitivity to local customs and culture. We also involve local communities in remote areas that we travel to.
- Our accommodation is mostly provided in small hotels, guest houses or apartments.
- On all our tours we use local produce and provide local-style meals, and we encourage our guests to try local dishes and delicacies
- We support local economy and small business by supporting locally owned shops, restaurants, and using local guide services.
- Using local employees, accommodation providers, local restaurants and transportation services, Fiore Adventure ensures that financial benefits remain in the local community.
What you can do:
- Learn something about Croatia: culture, religion, geography, politics and local customs.I strongly recommend to get a good travel guide such as Lonely Planet guides or Croatian Tourism Board. They are very useful before and during your staying.
- Try to speak at least a few words of Croatian, you will make a big impression by doing it and it's also a show of respect and interest on your part.
- In many places fresh water is a very precious commodity and should not be wasted, so use a minimum for showering and washing, especially when you are on islands, tap water is drinkable throughout Croatia
- Turn out the lights or air condition when you leave your room, use the public transport as much as you can, minimize your waste generally
- Pick up your litter, never live any trace in nature, when you are in rural areas please stay to the trails and don't damage or take any plants or flowers